Week One of the DHS 2014 XC season saw a lot of new faces, familiar workouts, and a great foundation for another successful season! We will have a team size that will rival our largest ever, and we are looking forward to all of the improvements that we'll see over the season with hard work and commitment to the team.
A few updates from the coaching staff:
1. We still have a few more weeks of hot and humid weather ahead of us, so please make sure that you have a filled water bottle for every practice. We simply cannot have you practice if you do not have a water bottle at practice. We have water available at practice, but do not want to bring cups every day.
2. Congratulations to our 2014 XC Captains! For the boys team, our Captains will be Blake Tiede and Cadmiel Velazquez. For the girls team, our Captains will be Emily Cyr and Alyssa Farnell. This is always a difficult decision, and we are lucky to have another great group of Seniors, which will have the opportunity for leadership opportunities throughout the season.
3. We had several great performances throughout our first week of practice, with some members earning coveted "MVP" honors at the end of the week. Some of those honored were our girls Varsity squad for their great teamwork during a tough workout on Wednesday, Liam Eastham for his effort throughout the week, Addison Duke and Erin McDuffie for their encouragement of others in practice, and Ian Kelley for helping with the 8th graders and attendance even though he was unable to run. Be on the lookout for the return of Runner of the Week shirts soon!
4. We will have a regular week of practice this week, with our first meet of the season scheduled for Tuesday, August 26th at Druid Hills Middle School. Most of the team will race in this meet, and more information regarding this meet will follow next weekend. Additionally, information and the roster for the Clara Bowl Invitational on Saturday, August 30th will be included. We will take approximately the Top-10 boys and girls to this meet.
5. Thank you for all those who attended our XC Booster Club meeting on Wednesday night, we hope you found it informative. If you missed the meeting or still need to submit forms, please contact Kevin Cameron, our Booster Club President. Thank you to all of our parents for helping with spirit wear, uniforms, and registration!
Thank you for your support of Dunwoody Cross Country!
- Coach Boucher